Production Scheduling in the Packaging Industrial Equipment Sector
The Packaging sector faces unique demands that make planning and scheduling particularly challenging
Some of the Unique Challenges
- The need to minimize setups by correct sequencing
- Setups need to be minimized by sequencing production in the correct print and / or size and finish sequences to avoid changeovers and washdowns.
- To supply and meet delivery date promises.
- By ensuring that the initial sequencing is correct.
- By ensuring that all materials, tools and skills are considered when developing a schedule.
- By loading and holding “quotes” for a limited period when negotiating new orders.
- By considering the impact of new orders or changes to existing orders on the current schedule.
- The need to utilize capacity efficiently
- by ensuring the resources are used when work is available.
- by easily moving work between resources when the opportunity or need arises.
- The need to minimize waste
- by ensuring the best use of raw materials e.g. reducing split waste
Scheduling Solutions can help you address these challenges
Utilizing the Siemens Opcenter APS (Advanced Production Scheduling solution) together with a production tracking solution, we will work with you to design and implement a solution that addresses the business needs while taking all the unique challenges into account.
The key capabilities of this solution will be
- The ability to schedule jobs in the correct sequences to minimize setups and washdowns.
- The ability to consider the availability of materials and projected due date of purchase orders, when loading jobs into the schedule.
- To ability to improve customer service by providing more accurate delivery due date promises and progress feedback availability.
- To allow what-ifs to explore alternate schedules, to understand the consequences of changes to the schedule requested by customers or caused by other events.
- To consider the progress of jobs in production when developing new schedules.
- Provide work schedules by resource area to ensure all departmental activities are coordinated.
- To automate sequencing to minimize setups while making the best use of available resources.
Benefits reported by Packing sector providers are amongst others
- Significant improvements in customer service e.g.
- Meeting due dates promised
- Providing accurate in progress feedback
- Being able to accommodate priority changes
- Reductions in WIP as a result of
- Starting work when materials are available.
- Working on the correct task sequences.
- Major increases in productivity as a result of
- Ensuring all staff are aware of work to be completed
- Activity tracking
- Reductions in unnecessary overtime.
- Significant reductions in scheduling effort
- ROI measured in months
Case studies report numbers such as
- Productivity increased by 45% in one year plus significant reduction in WIP and improvements in customer service
- Increased schedule horizon from a few days, to the full extent of the order book.
- Significant increases in customer service
Discover more about the Siemens Opcenter APS
Watch a webinar for scheduling in the packaging industry.